The family already had a stunning front garden and are avid gardeners but the back wasn’t working well for them. The existing patio was a small dingy space made from concrete flags that left uninspiring views from the house.
They wanted a bigger brighter space to make the garden more usable and have more room for planting as well as entertaining and relaxing. They also had a mature fruit tree in the centre of the lawn that was taking up a great deal of space, so they wanted it taken out and a new lawn laid so that the children had more room to play.
The Client Brief
Working with the client we created an area that was an extension of the house.
- New steps were installed from the patio doors and larger patio space.
- laid down a weed suppressant membrane for the planting beds
- We chose a bright natural sandstone finish
- Paired the natural sandstone with warm-toned gravel on top of the weed suppressant membrane
- creating a relaxing Mediterranean style retreat
- To keep with the tones and style of the area we added coastal feeling airy planting such as Stipa, Knautia, geums, salvias verbena’s and achileas in warm orange, red and purple tones
Design and landscaping
Working with the client we created an area that was an extension of the house. New steps were installed from the patio doors and much larger patio space. We chose a bright natural sandstone finish and paired this with warm-toned gravel on top of a weed suppressant membrane for the planting beds, creating a relaxing Mediterranean style retreat.
The Patio installation during the transformation
The patio, before and after
The patio during build
The completed Mediterranean garden