Alderley Edge – garden design case study
The design was done by working closely with the client, including extensive research and consultation over a 4 month period, culminating with the client being really pleased with how the new design was integrated within the existing grounds.
The client had modernised the house with a large extension that can’t be seen from the traditional, original house. The garden design was focused on the modern side, however, as the garden wraps around, it blends into the traditional side of the house too.
- Design fee: £3,000
- Build budget: £110k
- A low maintenance garden was key as busy working couple wanted more time to relax
- Address the level changes so the garden has an inside-outside continuous look to it, without any step down into the garden
- Modern look and feel that blends into more traditional as the design moves around the house
- Several seating spaces for different functions, such as for relaxing and eating with friends, as well as personal spaces for relaxing
- Space for two cars and a screened bin store
- Working with existing planting and protect the tree
- Intelligent design to be creative around the pivotal tree on the driveway
- Once the deck was raised, privacy would be lost, so screening required to hide the existing garage and neighbor view
Features included in the design:
- Contemporary raised composite decking by “Millboard” which is a top of the market, durable and sustainable product manufactured in the UK. This fits the space practically and works within the constraints of the garden, the levels and the tree.
- Western red cedar screening creates modern looking visual barrier. It is semi-permeable so it allows wind and light to pass through, making the space brighter than traditional fencing and less likely to blow over in strong winds.
- Included within the screen are 3 artificial green wall features by VistaGreen (supplied by London Stone ) which are low maintenance and lifelike.
- 3x Corten steel bowl features to house water to bring a sense of calm and relaxation to space.
- Bamboo planting for a zen-like feel to space.
- Lighting is key in this section; contrasting uplighting of the bamboo against the horizontally slatted fencing.
- A bespoke pergola made from oak beams spanning up to 5m to create a striking and impressive feature serving as a “gateway” between spaces and a frame for viewpoints throughout the garden.
- Extending from the house into the garden, it connects down to ground level adjoining the new building and existing garden together and a further segway between the functional driveway and front door to the house.
- Resin bound driveway is porous, long lasting, easy to maintain and sweepsaroundd the front of the property and blends into the older style via clever use of planting.
- Included in the front garden is a plinth feature (within a traditional Victorian formal style garden) in the centre for the client to display a sculptural art piece of their choice.
- Front step entrance: existing underwhelming due to scale and architecture so enhanced the steps making them wider and adding feature topiary planting either side of the door. Steps are bullnose harvest tumbled sandstone (London stone).
- Planting: hedging used as lends itself to the more angular and clean edged style of the garden as a whole and softens the boundary too.
- Predominantly shaded aspects so grasses and bamboo used which also provide movement and as a feature Acer gives autumnal interest. Bulbs to be planted for year round interest.
- Shrubs and perennials planted in blocks in large areas to minimise a cluttering aesthetic whilst still providing colour height scent throughout the year
- Grasses used to give a modern look and adding movement to those areas.
Customer testimonial: “Thrilled with the final design for our garden. We’re so excited for the work to start and to see It being created”
Are you looking for a team of professionals to look after your garden? Let us take the strain!
Our design, landscaping and maintenance teams work year-round to keep gardens in tip-top condition, so you can enjoy it without the pain! We have full BALI, APL and HTA accreditations, so you can trust us to ensure your garden blossoms! Contact us today!